December 22, 2010

Trujillo

The day started with nutritional support from law enforcement: a truck had broken down on this hill



and was blocking both lanes. A police officer who was directing traffic asked me where I am going. When I said Ecuador, he handed me a giant bag with apples, bananas, and pastries, and insisted in me taking the whole bag...how nice.

I still stopped for lunch after getting through Chimbote, the largest fishing port in Peru. For the first ten miles or so north of Chimbote, there was a lot of agriculture, made possible by irrigation. Then it was desert again before getting closer to Trujillo with large plantations of asparagus (on the left) and sugarcane (on the right)



I am not surprised that a google search shows that asparagus is an important vegetable for Peru's export industry.

It's a bummer I missed Lucho, whose Casa de Ciclistas is famous among bicyclists passing through here, but maybe next time!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Great "fast food" story!

 

Pan-American Diversions © 2009-2022 William Krivan