August 25, 2019

Meziadin Junction

I am using the blazing-fast data connection from the camp I am staying at (Meziadin Junction, it's quite a unique experience and I will take photos tomorrow) to briefly catch up.

The last couple of days included a little bit of everything: rain, snow, sunshine, hills...and today more bears than I would have expected to see during my whole life.

Wednesday started in Teslin with a crossing of a steel bridge with a super slippery wet grating. It was a challenging exercise and I was glad I made it without crashing.

Then there was a lot of climbing in wet and cold conditions, which was fun, albeit in an unorthodox way.

About at the halfway point, I stopped at the Continental Divide Lodge and from there it was dry and mostly downhill. Just as it was getting dark, I arrived at the place where I was staying near the cutoff to Highway 37.

Then on Thursday, I said bye bye to the Yukon and hello to British Columbia.

Lots of ups and downs and spectacular scenery. For a change, the day started with sunshine and ended with rain.

A short ride yesterday from Dease Lake to Tatogga, and then today to Meziadin Junction. I lost track of the bear count at 7 or 8. During the entire day, I must have passed far more than a dozen. Once I spotted a bear, it turned out to be a reasonable strategy to proceed cautiously while trying to imitate the sound of a delivery truck backing up into a loading zone. See the last two segments of the video, especially around 00:41 and the portion from about 00:53.



During a climb close to Meziadin Junction, it started raining, and unlike on numerous similar occasions over the last days, it felt pleasantly refreshing; it's much warmer here than much of the route before!

I will upload other videos from the last days at a later time.

No comments:

 

Pan-American Diversions © 2009-2022 William Krivan